September 20, 2015

Tuvalu - Week 18

E too te vaiua

Talofa everyone!  It has been another great week here in Tuvalu, and it seems like the time is running way too fast.  This week is transfer week, so I only have 6 more weeks until I leave!  I really don't want to leave because I love it here so much, so I'm not very happy with the time moving by so fast.  But hopefully I can make these next 6 weeks worth it!

One thing about our house here in Tuvalu.  We seem to have a flock of chickens running around all the time, and they're really annoying.  The roosters really like to cockadoodledoo and it's driving me insane!  Everyone says they're the Tuvaluan alarm clock but the one by our house goes off from 5 in the morning until 3 in the afternoon!  When Elder Pomate was here we used a green laser we bought at the chinese shop to chase them away, but now he is in Fiji and Tuvalu is out of green lasers.  I'm still working on a solution that doesn't include me running outside and chasing them away!

This week the work has been pretty good.  The highlight of our week was the baptismal interview with S______.....she passed!  I'm so excited, and she should be baptized on Saturday if everything works out!  I had the opportunity to do her interview (because we have no district leader) and it was amazing.  She has been waiting a long time for this and is so excited to be baptized!

Last Monday, as usual, we went and played basketball with our recent convert, Teruka, and his friends.  Well, Teruka's brother came and played too, and we started to have some friendly trash talk as we played against each other (it's the best way to make friends here in Tuvalu:))   Anyway, I challenged him and said if I won he had to come to church on Sunday.  And with a incredible combination of my church ball skills and the fact that Tuvaluans are horrible at basketball, I won and he showed up to church on Sunday!!  The best part is he liked it and wants to start taking lessons!  So I guess church ball is an inspired program:)

The faith of Tuvaluans is awesome!  They all have been praying for rain because of the drought and their prayers were answered: it rained almost all day on Saturday and Sunday and the drought is over!  I know that prayers are answered when we believe!

Have a great week!

Alofa atu,


Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment