October 25, 2015

Tuvalu - Week 23

Au e pili o tagi....

Tapa.  Toe tasi mo te aafa te vaiaso.  Se gali.  Man I only have a week and a half left on this island.  It's going to be hard to leave.

Man I love Tuvalu.  I am really beginning to understand the culture as I am learning to speak the language, and it's a pretty neat experience.  The people are the best!  They have so much faith and hope in life.  Even though they live very simply, they are happy!  I admire their outlook on life and everything I've learned from them.  I feel really blessed to have served here. 

I'm really excited for this Saturday when we will have Logotau's baptism!  He passed his interview this week and is super ready to be baptized.  He's shared his testimony plenty of times about how the gospel has already blessed his life, blessed him to be happier, to control his anger, and to have more purpose in his life.  He has developed great relationships with the branch members and refers to them as his family!  I've seen a big change in him and feel grateful to have been able to help him accept the gospel.  It'll be a great finish to see him baptized before I leave.

On Friday last week President Niko saw us on the road and stopped to ask Elder Paki and I to talk on Sunday.  It was really good to be able to give a talk!  Elder Paki gave a bomb talk on Christlike attributes and then I talked afterwards about the Atonement of Christ and how it not only helps us overcome death and sin, but all pain that we suffer.  

Elder Paki has got way good Tuvaluan!  He's way farther along than I was at that point, so I'm not worried at all for when I leave.  It's funny though because Elder Paki has been annoyed with all the little kids who see us and yell "Palangi!"  So he started arguing with one kid telling them that we're not Palangi.  It was really funny to hear him argue in Tuvaluan with a 5 year old!  Good times.

Anyways I am doing good and I know that the gospel is true.  I know that there are always the hard times, but the gospel helps us get through them and yes even become stronger through them.  I know that if we rely on our Savior through thick and thin that we can have peace with whatever happens.  As my favorite hymn puts it, "I believe in Christ, so come what may."

Alofa atu,

Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment