November 29, 2015

Navua - Week 4

Bula!

It has been a great week!  It has been pretty busy and lots of fun times, hard times, spiritual times, and mostly just walking times--all part of the missionary life which I have grown to love!

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!  It was my first one outside of America, but thankfully I got to celebrate!  We were invited to dinner by the Farpapau family on Thursday, and we got to go and eat a Thanksgiving dinner with them.  They are from an island called Rotuma (little island way north of Fiji that speaks a different language), and they also invited all their Rotuman family from all over Suva.  Dinner was great!  No turkey, but I still ate a ton.  Most people in Fiji don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but I'm grateful that I was able to celebrate it with this great family! 

The work in Navua is moving along well!  We are still working with Raijeli's parents and Makaia and everyone else, but I'm starting to realize how much of an impact the holidays are going to have on us.  This is Fiji's summer break for school, plus Christmas is coming up, so most people are going to go back to their home village for the holidays.  We've already encountered a lot of this even though December hasn't started yet, but we'll keep on keeping on I guess and just try to work our hardest with what we have.

We went and did some service for a less-active member in our ward this week.  His name is Brother Dunn, and he is half Fijian and half Indian, but he tells everyone that he is Irish because his great-great-grandfather was Irish (that's how he got the name Dunn).  He and his two boys are some of the funniest people I have met, and all the missionaries love them!  For service we were supposed to help him fix his fishing net so he could catch some fish, but then Fiji Time took over and he just told us stories for 2 hours.  We were able to chop some firewood for him at the end though so it was good to go and serve him.  He has been coming back to church and now has a calling so we are really excited about that!

Anyways, all is well down here!  I have thought a lot about gratitude this past week and have come to realize how blessed I am.  I can't even begin to count all the blessings that I have received in my life.  I have also realized that I need to be content with what I have and not complain or anticipate happiness coming to me in a future time.  I just need to be happy with what I have right now!  God is good and will always bless us more than we can imagine!

Happy Thanksgiving and everyone have a great week.

Love,


Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment