April 19, 2015

Somosomo, Taveuni Island - Week 10

Ni sa bula vinaka!

Man the weeks are flying by!  Hard to believe it's the end of April already.  Oh well, time flies when you're having fun!  

Somosomo is fantastic; best place in the world!  I am starting to get used to the greenness and the palm trees, which is weird, but I am still blown away by the beauty of this island.  Noqu Vanua! (my land)  

So there is this song that is way popular in Fiji right now.  We hear it a lot from the shops or on the bus.  It is about Tavueni, the garden island.  It's called "Tagimoucia," and it's super catchy.  You all should look it up!  

A little bit about Taveuni: there is a lake up in the mountains of Taveuni, and it is the only place in the world where this flower called the Tagimoucia will grow.  So they take a lot of pride in that all around Fiji, and so that's what the song is about.  You'll love it; way catchy.

As for the missionary work in Somosomo, it is going great!  Tix, the older guy who can't really walk that well, is getting baptized on Saturday!  He had his baptismal interview last Saturday, so it is all set.  We had a really good lesson with him on Wednesday.  We taught him about Temples, and the branch president's son came along with his tablet and showed a little video about the temple.  The Spirit was way strong, and he was really excited about it! 

Also, Naliva received the Aaronic Priesthood yesterday, so that was really exciting.  And then they asked him to prepare and pass the sacrament right after; he did a way good job!  Also, since the zone leaders weren't available to do a baptismal interview up in Matei this week, they asked Elder Hosea to do it for them.  So that was fun to go up there for the evening.

One thing I have learned this week is that the Lord does his work through the weak things of the world.  We are just a bunch of 18-20 year old kids that are spreading the most important message in the world.  I am just a Palagi trying to speak in their language (and not doing very well), and somehow the Lord has been able to touch some of these people's hearts through me.  It has been very humbling to me to realize this.  I testify that I am not able to do this by myself; I know that I am simply an instrument in His hands when I do the things that I am supposed to.  

Hope all is well, everyone have fun back in that super dry place we call home!

Loloma levu,


Elda Harris

Sunsets are just awesome here.  High tide.

Haha we bought a huge bucket of Breakfast Crackers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment