January 9, 2015

MTC - Week 2

Bula vinaka!

Hey everyone!  How is everything going?  I am so sorry to hear about Maggie...that is horrible.  We are preparing to teach a fake investigator on Monday who hypothetically lost his wife to cancer about a year ago.  Yesterday in my study I learned that through the gospel of Jesus Christ we can see our family members after this life.  D&C 130:2 says that whatever relationship we have in this life will carry on in the life hereafter.  This is possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ and temple ordinances.  So while tragedies do occur, we always have hope!  The gospel is amazing!  

I am learning so much about what it truly means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.  As a missionary, and especially at the MTC, we have spiritual experiences all the time.  It feels so good to surround myself with such happiness and peace, and it gives me a conviction to share it with others.  I think one thing we all need to realize is that a disciple of Jesus Christ should always be kind and loving to everyone he/she meets.

The MTC is fun!  The cafeteria.......okay, but I'd go back to the Cannon Center anyday.  

We have three Fijian teachers.  Brother Crump has been teaching ever since he got home from his mission 4 years ago.  He taught our other two teachers Brother Smith and Brother Ledoux, who were both in the same intake as Skyler, the guy that we talked to before.  They're all really fun and great teachers.  Although this week we haven't had them much because the other Fiji district is still here because of our date change.  But the other Fiji district is leaving tomorrow, so we'll have them all the time from now on.  

We have a new elder in our district: Elder Davis who has been here for 6 weeks but had to get surgery on his ACL two weeks ago.  He'll probably leave with us.  

I am learning quite a bit of Fijian!  I can say a prayer, invite someone to be baptized, and (almost) put a whole sentence together!  Fijian is a little weird because a sentence is like...He is a prophet Joseph Smith...but then if the sentence has anymore stuff it is just hard haha.  But I know it will come with time.  I love Fijian!!!  It honestly is a super cool sounding language.  They have a lot of long words like vakavinavinakataka and vakalougatataka.  

We sing a lot of hymns(like 4-5 times a day) in Fijian and my district always makes me choose the song because I can recognize the song by looking at the notes haha.  I am now the official piano player for sacrament meeting so I need to practice today (Mom I know you'll be happy to hear that).  

One cool thing about the MTC is devotionals every Sunday and Tuesday night.  We had the Young Womens General President on Tuesday and the Church director of mormon.org and other missionary technology stuff.  He did the #BecauseofHim and #HeistheGift, and he said next Easter it will be #BecauseHeLives.  It was cool how they are using that to spread the gospel!

Anyways, have a good week and thanks for the packages and letters everyone!

Love, Elder Harris


[Note: Elder Harris was referring to the tragic death of a sweet girl, Maggie Robinson, that has been a difficult loss for her family and all of his home town]



Elder Lemusu (front) and Elder Alonzo


My Companion





Elder Kintstone from Papau New Guinea Leaving Tomorrow

Our Class

No comments:

Post a Comment