January 30, 2015

MTC - Week 5

Bula!

Sa vakacava tiko?  How are you?  Well, things are pretty good here at the MTC.  This week has flown by!  It has been a lot harder to stay motivated this week because it's so much sitting around in class.  But luckily I only have one week left!  We are supposed to get our travel plans today, but we haven't got them yet, so I'm not sure exactly when I leave.....hopefully next Saturday!  But despite that I have been trying to learn as much as I can while I am still here.  

Yesterday I memorized the First Vision in Fijian which is pretty cool.  I love the language so much!  It's weird but it sounds awesome haha.  Yesterday we Skyped an old lady who was in Suva, and it was so cool to talk to her!  Apparently she is a teacher at the LDS high school there, so we got to talk to a few of her students who were peeking at us behind the computer.  Haha it was really funny!  We learned that we have a lot of Fijian to learn though....after we asked her "Ko rawa ni tukuna tale mada vakamalua?" (can you please repeat that again slowly?") like ten times haha.  But it was still really cool, and hopefully we get to see her in about a week:)

Last week we said goodbye to a whole Tongan speaking district: two elders going to Tonga, two elders going to Hawai'i, and a sister going to Oakland/S.F.  It was sad because we got pretty close to them...they were all super awesome.  But then on Wednesday we got a new Tongan district with one elder and a sister going to Oakland/S.F., and a sister going to Tonga, so that was pretty fun.  The elder is 6'9''!  And he can shoot 3's better than anybody, so we basically all run around while he makes all the points when we play basketball.  

I went to the doctor on Tuesday and he said my finger is doing great.  I just have to wear this brace for the next 4 weeks and then I'm done.  I can almost bend it all the way so I'm not too worried about it.  It's still swollen though haha it looks super fat!  But it shouldn't be a problem anymore:)  

This week I've learned about the importance of drawing upon heaven for help in missionary work.  Missionaries don't convert people; the Holy Ghost converts people.  One of the seventy spoke this week, and he said the best missionaries are they who rely completely on Heavenly Father to use them as an instrument in helping others come unto Christ.  This is the kind of missionary I want to be.  In order to become this missionary, I have to be exactly obedient, have tremendous faith, and teach by the spirit.  It's hard, like all of missionary work, but I am striving to become like that!  The spirit is so strong here.  Something I didn't take advantage of before my mission was the gift of the Holy Ghost.  This gift is not only present during deep spiritual experiences, but it is promised to be a constant companion to those who have received it and who are worthy of it--and also strive to keep it.  I still have a lot of work to do to keep it with me at all times, but I am working hard for it:)

Have a great week!

Love,

Elder Harris

Elder Harris' Zone

Memorizing Fijian Words

Memorizing the First Vision in Fijian

No comments:

Post a Comment