January 23, 2015

MTC - Week 4

Bula vinaka!

Well this week has been pretty good.  There has been so much happening I can't keep track haha.  The weeks are starting to fly by, which is good because I want to get to Fiji as fast as I can!  Learning how to be a missionary and how to speak fijian is great, but sitting in a classroom for 9 hours a day is starting to be a drag.....  But I still love it!  

Last Saturday, we had what is called TRC.  It's where we have a lesson with a random person who speaks our language.  In our case, the only people they can find who speak Fijian are RMs.  And guess who I got to teach????  Skyler Smith, the guy who Racail told us to talk to!  It was cool to see him again and teach him a lesson in Fijian.  

We got a new MTC Presidency on Sunday, so we heard them talk that night.  President Burgess used to be the YM General President I think.  And then on Tuesday we got to hear from M. Russell Ballard....an apostle two weeks in a row!  He talked about what we need to do to be a good missionary (it was a lot).  And then at the end he gave us an apostolic blessing which was really cool.   He blessed us with protection, a love for the people, and a sense of the privilege and dignity of our calling. 

The Fijian is coming along.  I can say a lot, but I speak super slow and I can't understand it very well.  Our teachers say that we are doing really good as a class, but they also warn us that we can't let that get to our heads haha.  Anyways, the gift of tongues is real!  We were teaching a lesson, and our fake investigator had a question, and I was able to remember a lot of words just on the spot to help him understand.  It still was a struggle to say it, but I know the Lord is helping me learn this.  Fijian is super different from English.  There are 6 different ways to say we, 6 for us, 4 to say you and your, and 3 to say their.  And then trying to say the possesive forms of those is even harder!  But I love it.

One of my favorite things about living in the Polynesian zone is the singing.  We sing all the time.  There are two hymns that we sing a lot: one is Tongan, and one is Samoan.  They aren't in the English hymnbook, only the Tongan and Samoan ones.  But they are just beautiful when we all start singing them.  President Burgess and Sister Burgess came and sat by us on Wednesday, and someone asked if they wanted to hear a song (I didn't know if that was a good idea because we are pretty loud).  But they said yes, and we sang super loud so basically everyone in the cafeteria could hear.  They loved it haha, and no one could tell us not to because they were there (we've got in trouble for singing before).  It's super awesome!

Well, that's basically it for this week.  Probably only two more weeks in the MTC.  My teacher said that we usually leave on Saturdays so we might leave on February 7....two weeks from tomorrow!  The gospel is true!  Being a missionary is awesome!  

Love,

Elder Harris

Elder Cocker and Elder Harris


No comments:

Post a Comment